Make-up mirror caused burning smell that could have led to serious blaze in Tunbridge Wells home

Profile image for kentsussex

By kentsussex | Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 09:43

Kent Fire & Rescue Service crews were called to reports of mystery burning in a Tunbridge Wells home and discovered the cause was a make-up mirror.

Two fire appliances were sent to Bayham Road on Wednesday afternoon (14 November) after the householder reported burning in a bedroom. 

Although there was no fire, crews found a 25mm round burn mark on the end of a wooden bedstead.

Tunbridge Wells Watch Manager Bob Gardner said: "She was alerted by a smell of burning but did not know how the burn mark had occurred.

"She then said that she had only just pulled the blind down as there was large sun glare and I could see instantly how it had occurred.

"When I raised the blind, the sun was reflected by a double sided make-up mirror on the dressing table in front of the window, magnifying and concentrating the suns rays into a beam onto the bedstead."

Crews are warning that if the reflection had been onto cloth or other more combustible material, this could have led to a serious fire. Residents are urged to be careful where they position such mirrors.

For more safety advice in the home visit www.kent.fire-uk.org or call our freephone on 0800 923 7000. 

      

Comments

       
max 4000 characters
        
   

Latest Stories in Tunbridge Wells

       
      

Local Vouchers

       
   

Local Jobs

       
   

Search for...

       
        
Min price is bigger than Max price
        
Min price is bigger than Max price
        
Min rent is bigger than Max rent