Blaze in Tunbridge Wells home after man falls asleep while cooking
By kentsussex | Wednesday, September 12, 2012, 11:51
A blaze broke out in a Tunbridge Wells home in the early hours of this morning after a man fell asleep while cooking.
Fire crews were called to Chenies Close at 12.10am after a passer-by noticed smoke coming out of the flat window and dialled 999.
Tunbridge Wells Watch Manager Keith Ward was in charge.
He said: "The resident's smoke alarm was sounding and when we arrived he was conscious and breathing but had to be taken to hospital because of the smoke he had inhaled.
"Just three breaths of smoke can cause unconsciousness and this incident had the potential to be even more serious.
"It really does highlight the frightening fact that fire breaks out when you least expect so always take absolute care when cooking.
"Never leave cooking unattended, always turn off the heat if you leave the room and always take extra care if cooking when tired, if you've been drinking or are on medication."
He also said the following safety tips can help keep you and your family safe from fire:
Don't leave cooking unattended. Turn off the heat if you leave the room. Remember, fire starts when your attention stops.
Turn saucepan handles so that they don't stick out from the hob.
Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil. If the oil starts to smoke, do not begin cooking - remove from the heat and leave it to cool.
Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire.
If you are going out for a night out and may be drinking, try and pre-plan for your return home and take
a snack from the fridge or cupboard instead of turning on the cooker for a hot meal.
Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home, and test the batteries regularly.
If there is a fire, get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue service.
For further advice on how to keep you, your family or a neighbour safe from fire call Kent Fire and Rescue Service for free on 0800 923 7000 or go to www.3breaths.info for further information.